“Can I get an update on the delivery?” If you or anyone on your team has ever been on the receiving end of this call or email, you understand what a headache it can be to get up-to-date visibility into your delivery fleet’s whereabouts. Not to mention communicating that information down the chain.
But with cloud-based dispatching software, gone are the days of wasting time manually tracking down drivers and giving updates to customers, which would be out-of-date within minutes anyway.
Cloud-based dispatching software changes the game for anyone involved in last-mile delivery logistics, providing new levels of visibility into route execution and the ability to adapt in real time to any issues that arise. The result? Highly efficient fleets, empowered drivers, and amazing customer service for delivery recipients.
In this post, we’ll delve deeper into the following:
- The definition of online dispatching software
- Top benefits of dispatching software for fleets and delivery recipients
- Industries that should consider using dispatching software
- How to choose the best dispatching software for your company
What is online dispatch software?
At a high level, online dispatching software is an automated system for coordinating the movement of goods and services. Dispatching software is designed to monitor route execution in real time, and allows users to quickly modify and re-optimize routes and make adjustments due to timing issues or last-minute customer requests.
As a result, dispatch software improves visibility, reduces late deliveries and improves the customer experience for delivery recipients.
Is there a difference between “dispatch software” and “dispatching software”?
In a word, no. For our purposes here, while there are subtle differences among them, the following terms are interchangeable and all refer to software designed for last-mile delivery: online dispatch software, truck dispatching software, automated or autonomous dispatch software, software for dispatch, cloud-based dispatch software, logistics dispatch software and dispatch optimization software.
How Dispatch Software Improves Last-Mile Delivery in B2B Logistics
Cloud-based dispatch software analyzes routes during route execution and deploys recommendations to improve last-mile delivery operations for everyone involved in B2B delivery operations: shippers, brokers and carriers.
In addition to arming dispatchers with valuable visibility into execution, dispatch software also helps them make changes in real-time so they can respond accordingly to any hiccups or issues.
Let’s break this down.
How Dispatching Software Helps Shippers & Brokers
For shippers and brokers, visibility into route execution is absolutely crucial. Better visibility, streamlined communication, and the ability to adapt on the fly to changing conditions can be the difference between a successful day and a catastrophic one.
Here are some of the top benefits of dispatching software for shippers and brokers:
- Eliminates the need for messy manual tracking – Get real-time access into driver location. This means less opportunity for errors and less time spent tracking down drivers and giving updates to customers.
- Provides a high-level overview of all data – Monitor route progress, route paths, vehicle locations, traffic, and more all in one convenient location.
- Streamlines communication – Give customers and employees real-time insight into what’s happening on the road.
How Dispatching Software Helps Carriers
Dispatching software is fantastic for carriers who are physically transporting the goods. The top benefits of dispatching software for carriers include:
- Delivers real-time updates – Dispatchers can make updates to optimize routes, all of which are automatically sent to drivers.
- Reduces refusals – Less time tracking down recipients, more time checking deliveries off their list.
- Decreases fuel consumption and costs – Optimized routes cut down on inefficiencies and ultimately save on fuel.
How Dispatching Software Helps Delivery Recipients
Your customers, the ones who are actually receiving the deliveries, will also reap the benefits of online dispatching software. The top benefits for delivery recipients include:
- Gives real-time updates on deliveries – Customers can better prepare their location and personnel to receive deliveries.
- Eliminates the need for extra communication – No more tracking down deliveries with inefficient email chains or phone call trees.
- Increases trust & transparency – Customers appreciate the open lines of communication (and on-time deliveries, of course) that result from using dispatch software to the best of its ability.
Industries That Benefit from Dispatch Software
Truly, any company with a fleet can benefit from online dispatch software, no matter the size or industry. But the following industries have a proven track record when it comes to using dispatch software to optimize their delivery operations:
- Parcel and Courier – Ensure the highest levels of fleet efficiency and customer service, working with FTEs and 1099s; handle high-volume deliveries and on-demand orders
- Wholesale Distribution – Reduce refusals and increase on-time deliveries; use hybrid or dynamic routing to deliver reliable and efficient service
- Retail Distribution – Deliver top-shelf customer service with the flexibility to accommodate last-minute orders
- Commercial & Industrial – Deliver on-time and on-plan to minimize fleet costs
- Beverage – Reduce refusals and increase on-time deliveries
- Food – Use hybrid or dynamic routing to deliver reliable and efficient service
- Office Supplies – Deliver top-shelf customer service with the flexibility to accommodate last-minute orders
2 Things to Look for in a Cloud-Based Dispatch Software
Consider your fleet’s unique needs when considering what dispatch software to invest in, and keep these two elements top of mind:
- Flexibility – Does the dispatch software meet your business’s strategy needs and customer service goals? Whether you use static, dynamic, or hybrid routing strategies (or a combination of all), make sure the online dispatch software you choose offers flexibility.
- Integration – Does the software easily integrate with other solutions your team needs, like route planning, driver communications, and customer communications?
- Support for a broad range of vehicles, including large trucks – Many fleets these days have a mix of vehicle types and need dispatching software that understands that. In particular, if you use large trucks, you’ll need to make sure your drivers have access to truck navigation capabilities to ensure their safety and reduce violations due to weight limits, low bridges, noise restrictions, etc.
Wise Systems | Transform Last-Mile Delivery for You and Your Customers
Dispatcher from Wise Systems ensures more perfect deliveries, maximizes fleet efficiency, and keeps your customers happy.
Check out our variety of integrated solutions for dispatchers, drivers and delivery recipients. Wise Systems is revolutionizing last-mile delivery with logistics solutions, all informed by machine learning. Use the form below to Schedule a demo or touch base with us to learn more.